Girls Track prepares for big season

Team poses for picture

Makayla Stein, Reporter

The girls track team has had a record breaking season so far. They’ve had a total of four meets.

“I think our team works very well together. We are always communicating and helping each other out,” said Jasmine Hernandez (‘17).

The first meet took place on Feb. 27 was at Huntley High School. North’s team ranked first of 12 teams at the event.

Another event was on Mar. 5 at Auburn. The girls track team achieved second place out of eleven teams.

“Our team goal this year is to win outdoor conference and to beat Hononegah since we haven’t been able to in a long time,” said Jordan Trommater (‘18).

The third event that has occurred so far this season was on Mar. 17 at the NIC-10 conference. North’s girls track had record breaking times at the NIC-10. A total of three school records were shattered by North girls at the meet.

Addie Crocker (‘16), Sabrina Elder (‘18), Taylor Ferguson (‘18) and Vanessa Sida (‘18) ran a time of 4:15.51 in the 4×400 relay, setting a new record for North.

One of the other broken records was the 4×800. Elder, Jenna Lutzow (‘17), Brooke Messenger (‘19) and Stephanie Robles (16’) ran the time of 9:57.91.

The final broken record was made by Lutzow in the 1600 meter relay. She ran a time of 5:07.

Aside from broken records the track team also beat Auburn and Boylan on Mar. 22. The meet took place at Auburn High School. North’s team ended with a score of 90, Auburn ended with 44 and Boylan with a final score of 41.

“It was definitely a victory to beat Boylan,” said Hernandez.

North’s girls track team continues to run fast and strive for the best times as the season progresses.