Baseball setting goals high

Kyle+Hauser+%28%2717%29+makes+a+throw+to+first+

VIP

Kyle Hauser (’17) makes a throw to first

Connor Walsh , Sports Editor

The Belvidere North baseball team is going to be a young squad for the second year in a row. Last years team featured five sophomores, and this year four sophomores got called up to varsity.  Evan Waddell, Marco Yates, Arthur Vinke, and Sawyer Paddock were the ones that got the nod.  

The team is returning nine players from last years team, including seven starters from last year.

“We’re both a young and talented group,” said Garrett Nelson, “and we’ve got some very high expectations for this year.”

The team opened at home on March 17, against Woodstock North.  The Blue Thunder took home their first victory of the year, winning 3-0.  Levon Smith (16’) started the game on the mound for North, pitching four innings and striking out seven batters.  Smith also only allowed one hit on the day.

“It was a very good team victory, everyone played a major role in our victory today,” said Smith.

The team took on Hampshire on March 18, and suffered their first loss of the season falling 6-0.

“We really didn’t perform the way we wanted to” said Nelson, “we made a lot of stupid mistakes in the field, and they really made us pay for it.”

Looking to bounce back from their first loss, the team took on Harvard at home.  The Blue Thunder took home the victory, winning a come from behind game 10-9.  

Marco Yates started the game on the mound for the Thunder, going three innings and giving up four runs.  Two of the runs were unearned, as errors led to a big inning for Harvard.  Harvard jumped out to a 9-5 lead in the fifth inning, leaving North to have to come back.  The team scratched out two runs in the bottom of the fifth, setting the team up for their big sixth inning, in which they took the lead sealing the game.

The team then traveled to Crystal Lake Central on March 28 for a double header.  The Blue Thunder dropped both games for the day, both of them coming in walk off fashion.  

“As a team, we didn’t really have bad games,” said Coach Dobbertin, “they just straight up beat us.”

The team then played at home on March 30, taking on Stillman Valley.  The team fell for their third straight loss by the score of 14-2.  The team scored both of their runs in the first inning.  

While the team hasn’t gotten off to the start that it was hoping for, they still have their goals set high.

“If we play to our full potential, there is no reason that we shouldn’t win both conference and regional titles,” said Nelson.