Girls cross country wins sectionals

Photo provided by VIP

The girls pack run through the course.

Sofi Zeman, Reporter

For the first time in Belvidere North history, girls cross country has taken an IHSA Sectional victory.

The girls cross country team is known for excelling in various areas, with accomplishments such as winning most of their invitationals and placing second at last year’s IHSA State meet. But, the girls have never taken first in the sectional meet until now. At last year’s sectional, the team took second overall.

This year’s meet was held at Belvidere High School on Oct. 29. As a team, North scored 56 points. Vernon Hills placed second behind North with 89 points.  Leading the pack in first place was Jenna Lutzow (‘17) who finished with a time of 16:58. Including this race, Lutzow has won 22 races in her high school career. Following shortly behind Lutzow, Madison Diercks (‘20) took fourth place with a time of 17:50. Behind Diercks was Gianna Sagona (‘20) who finished in seventh place with a time of 18:02.

“ Winning sectionals was amazing. I’m glad that I had the chance to be a part of that first time experience as a freshman,” said Olivia Zaluckyj (‘20) .

As initially predicted, girls cross country has had yet another record breaking season. But, it doesn’t end here. Next, North is headed to the 47 annual IHSA State race in Peoria. The race will be held in Detweiler Park on Nov. 5 at 11:00 AM. After winning Sectionals for the first time ever, the team is confident that they have the talent to win state as well.

“These girls have more than enough talent to win state,” said Coach Ken Husser, “ the entire team is incredibly close and can accomplish anything when they work together.”