Boys bowling off to hot start

Garrett Nelson rolls a strike

Garrett Nelson, Reporter

North’s boys bowling has started the conference season strong. The team took on Jefferson High School at Cherry Bowl on Monday, November 28th.

The boys started the match strong, lead by Garrett Nelson(‘17) who bowled a 279. The team continued their strong performance and finished the match ahead by more than 200 pins.

Another good bowler for North is Javi Martinez(‘17). Martinez is competing in his third year on Varsity and had a near 200 average last year.

“I love competing against some of the best bowlers in the state and the country,” said Martinez, “Our state is probably the most competitive and filled with some of the best bowlers in the country. We bowl against guys that have committed to some of the best collegiate bowling teams there are, which is incredible to compete against.”

The boys have a tough schedule ahead of them full of good teams and are going to have to really bring it to compete. The team has some high expectations for the year. They want to make Sectionals as a team, and are looking to have a couple guys make it to State as individuals.

“The tournaments that we have on the weekends are great for our preparation for Regionals, Sectionals, and hopefully State,” said Martinez, “those final three tournaments is the culmination of all our hard work throughout the season and I can’t wait to try and prove myself.”

North is going to be taking on Belvidere High School at home on Friday, December 2nd. The two teams finished very similarly at the NIC-10 pre-season tournament. The match on Friday should be a close one, so come out to Cherry Bowl and support our team.