Comp Cheer wins first competition

The+cheer+team+holds+up+their+second+place+trophy+from+last+years+state+competition+

Photo provided by VIP

The cheer team holds up their second place trophy from last years state competition

Bella Kehrer, Reporter

Last year the Varsity competitive cheer team exceeded everyone’s expectations and took 2nd in the state of Illinois. With 5 seniors leaving the program,  a few new faces came and filled their spots.

After the team took second in state students from the NIC-10 wanted to be apart of the team. North took on two new students and welcomed them to the program. Along with that, one of them is a senior, Cohl Woolbright. He is only one of the 13 seniors on the team.

With the first competition under their belts, which they took first at, they are spending the next two weeks to perfect their routine. The Coed Challenge, hosted at North, will be a tough matchup for the team. The team will be going against their toughest competition, Buffalo Grove.

Buffalo Grove took first in state this past year.

“We didn’t do our best this past Sunday, but we still came out on top. We will have to work really hard these next few weeks if we want to beat BG,” said Nick Quinley (‘18).

“Carl Sandburg had one team that we were really worried about (Stagg) but we went out and did what we could. We had some complications but we are working everyday at practice to get the routine absolutely perfect. Being that we got second in state last year, I have high expectations for this year especially since i’m a senior,” said Katelyn Kehrer (’17).

With the team already having one first place, teams from all around the area are watching every move North makes. Congrats to the varsity cheer team and good luck with the rest of the season.