Debate Team Qualifies for Nationals

Lauren Shelton, Reporter

The Belvidere North debate team is continuously improving and keeps winning more titles at every tournament this season. The team recently went to Evanston Township High School for their CCFL qualifying tournament. Evanston was hosting the second part of a tournament that began last November. All of the debaters did very well, some members of the team placed in the top six and earned their way to the Grand National Tournament. The tournament will be held in Louisville, Kentucky this May. The qualifying debaters are Jazmine Guzman (‘18), her partner Lauren Shelton (‘19), Nick Goymerac (‘19) and many other Chicago area debaters.

“I am super excited to go to nationals and really try our hardest to do well. I think it’s going to be a great experience,” said Jazmine Guzman.

Other members of the team managed to qualify as alternates for the tournament. Including Leah Hoffman (‘18), Johnathon Giesecke (‘19), Natalie Perez (‘17), and Nick Altintop (‘19). The tournament was so successful, that every member went home with either a speaker award or a placement trophy.

The team has started practicing for their March tournaments, which are two state tournaments and another qualifier for NSDA Nationals. The topic is about a whether or not the United States should pressure Israel towards a two-state solution.

“The topic for state this year is very intense, but I look forward to learning more about the two state solution and how the U.S. can help,” said Leah Hoffman (‘18).

They have all been working together trying to gather tons of arguments and evidence to make their cases as strong as possible. The chances of multiple pairs doing very well at state are looking really good so far.

As the tournaments approach, all of the students are going to keep putting their best effort in practicing and strengthening their research.