Lutzow: a family of champions

Twins+Jenna+and+Jordyn+Lutzow+pose+with+State+Championship+medals.+

Twins Jenna and Jordyn Lutzow pose with State Championship medals.

Haley McCoy, Editorials Editor

The sport of Belvidere is cross country. Say what you want about football, basketball and baseball – the popular sports – but if success is to be found, cross country is where it’s located.

There are two names that are permanently attached to Belvidere cross country. Even the casual observer knows the families: Yunk and Lutzow. The two families have dominated boys and girls cross country respectively, going back to the very first state trophy. For every state trophy, and there have been seven of them, there has been a Yunk or a Lutzow running. These are running families through and through.

Until they weren’t anymore.

The Lutzow family is the class of girls cross country in Belvidere. In 2014, Carley (‘15), Jenna (‘17), and Jordyn (‘17) Lutzow ran together, a trio of sisters who excelled at their sport. Together with another runner, the Lutzow sisters broke a school record for Track and FIeld. Carley was the best girls runner the city had seen, earning a scholarship to run at Florida Gulf Coast University. But in her freshman year, Jenna achieved an All-State finish at the state cross country meet, the only runner from Belvidere North who competed at the meet. Soon, it was obvious that Jenna would outpace her older sister. Jordyn grew disenfranchised with running and stopped altogether after her freshman year.

Jenna would go on to finish her career with four All-State seasons, a team state runner-up trophy, a team state championship, and an individual state championship to round out her resume. She hasn’t decided which university to continue her athletic career at next year, but she has a handful of options. No matter what she chooses, Jenna will continue to run.

Jordyn, on the other hand, took a different path than her twin sister. In the fall, Jordyn will follow Carley and her grandparents to Florida Gulf Coast University for academics. But she didn’t leave behind athletics entirely when she decided to stop running. During her junior year, Jordyn picked up cheerleading. Two years of hard work later, and Jordyn, too was a state champion. Not for cross country, but for Coed Competitive Cheerleading. Jordyn was a flyer on this year’s state championship team.

The Lutzow family isn’t a family of runners, after all, but a family of champions. Whether it be running on a course or tumbling across a mat, the twins have proven that winning is second nature to them. After all, they’re identical. Identical, that is, down to their state championships.