Young Americans 2017

Young Americans is at it again. Four years ago was the last time that this program has been offered to students, so once 2017 rolled around it was time for the opportunity to be given to students once again.

Young Americans is a program that includes both talented singers and talented dancers. The program is open to students in 3rd grade all the way up to college students. People that are apart of Young Americans travel to different schools and teach children what this program is and they influence them to sign up for this event. The occasion is a three day event that has kids learn all different kinds of songs. Once they learn their songs, the instructors choreograph and teach a dance to go along with the songs. Throughout these three days, all of the participants work really hard.

As soon as everyone learns the songs and the dances, they put on a show for their community. Anybody is open to come and watch these performers. They put on two shows total  in two days time. This year, the Young Americans was held on February 9, 10, and 11. The performers grasped the choreography and music on days one and two. On the second  and third day, they performed the show for the community. The event was held at Belvidere High School, but the teachers visited Belvidere North a month prior to the function.

Mackenzie Andrews (‘18) had took part in Young Americans and said this about her experience,

“It was so energetic. It takes a person who may not be perfectly comfortable around other people into being confident with themselves. Some people weren’t confident in having other people hear them sign and watch them dance but with this experience it makes people discover more about themselves. It also is a great life changing experience for the participants.”

The group performed a medley that incorporated different languages, a disney medley, and Glory from Selma.

The next time the Young Americans program will be offered to students is in four years. It is a great opportunity for students to be more in depth with music and how fun it can be when you incorporate it with accepting people.

Everyone that has participated in the Young Americans all agree that it is a great experience for you to get to know other people and be more confident with yourself and being yourself around others.