Boylan Prom Controversy

Boylan Prom Controversy

Andres Hernandez, Reporter

Like all schools, Boylan Catholic High School will be hosting a prom for the students of 2017, but due to the school being Catholic, the private high school has decided to have a very long dress code, which many students consider to be outrageous.

The reason for students being upset at the code is mainly because of the huge discrepancy between the boy’s dress code and the girl’s dress code. On Boylan’s main school website, it shows that there is only a single requirement for boy’s attire,

“Young men are expected to wear formal evening attire that would include a tuxedo, suit with a tie, or sport coat and slacks with a tie,” says the school’s website.

Even though the rules are lax for men, the rules for women are much more complex, and abundant, which many students find irritating.

While all the rules were found annoying by students, the biggest cause of outrage was one of the sentences in Boylan’s 21 slide Powerpoint Presentation, where the school stated that,

“Some girls may wear the same dress, but due to body types, one dress may be acceptable while the other is not”, the guide reads.

After publishing the powerpoint, many students accused the school of fat-shaming it’s own students. This was picked up by large news outlets like ‘CNN’ after the students decided to take a stand against the Boylan’s dress code.

One of the student’s, Alex Symonds (a senior) gave more information on the issue, saying how teachers in the building separated the girls and boys, and then took them into different classrooms to give both groups the same presentation, but then the girl’s presentation started off badly.

“All the girls immediately booed the teacher, which was really awful,” Symonds said, adding that the teacher did “say some offensive stuff,”.

The school has since then also stated their opinion, with Amy Ott, the president of the private Catholic school explaining that the dress code is not new.

“It was developed two years ago by a committee made up of teachers and students who consulted dress codes that existed at other Catholic schools across the country” she said.

Ott also stated that students should shop with their parents in order to find a dress so that the parents can verify that the dresses are appropriate for the upcoming dance.