The week after Spring Break

The week after Spring Break

© Image Source/Corbis

Sofi Zeman, Co-Features Editor

Waking up. Rolling over in bed, looking over to see the blaring alarm clock which reads 6:30. Begrudgingly, sadly making the decision that it’s time to get out of bed. Only one thought comes to mind: “This is going to be the longest week of my life.” To some, it’s the hardest part of anyone’s high school career. To all, this is the week after spring break.

It’s a universally known fact that most high school students in the United States don’t particularly enjoy attending school. With one quarter left in the semester, spring break provides a brief hiatus from the chaos that occurs in the last few weeks of the school year.

Transitioning from a white sandy beach, to the unwavering cold of Belvidere proves to be a harsh reality check for many. Even those who didn’t leave home in their week off often have difficulty getting back into their everyday routine after break.

“I stayed up late every night over break. In the last few days, it was so hard to change my sleep schedule. I ended up staying up until two in the morning and having to wake up for school less than four hours later. It’s been hard to focus in class and I am very tired but I’m happy to see my friends again,” said Olivia Kersten (‘19).

With SAT testing and Prom being this week, many have said that just returning from break makes it difficult to focus on the week ahead.

“It doesn’t even feel like prom is coming up. I think coming back from spring break has just kind of slowed everything down,” said Dante Zeman (‘17).

While many are still making the transition back into their school schedules, the week will likely feel longer than usual. On the brighter side of things, the school year is on its final stretch towards Summer with six weeks left in the 2016-17 school year.