Boys track season progresses towards Conference

Sofi Zeman, Co-Features Editor

On Sat. April 8, the Belvidere North Boys Track team participated in the Al Bohrer Invitational in Cary Grove.

With Saturday being the same day as prom, the meet roster consisted of mostly freshmen and sophomores to represent North. Though lacking the leadership of the upperclassmen, the boys competed regardless of the unlikely situation.

Adam Soper (‘19) set a new personal record for this season in the 300 meter hurdles with a time of 44.7 seconds. Soper took third place, contributing to the points scored by North.

Justin Downey (‘18) placed third in discus, throwing 116 feet. Downey also threw for fifth place in shot put with a throw of 39 feet.

“I expect the team to do pretty well at Conference this year, we were third for Indoor Conference so I’m sure we can do the same or even improve for outdoor,” said Downey.

Due to the absence of their more skilled competitors, the boys team overall ended up in last place in this invite.

“Given the circumstances, I think everyone did a great job. No one loves getting last place but we did what we could with what we had. That’s all anyone can really ask for because we tried our best,” said Matthew Albrecht (‘19), “ our next meet will definitely go better than this one did.”
     The following meet did go better for Belvidere North. The varsity team placed sixth in the Buffalo Grove Bate Invitational on Sat. April 15.

Alec Scott (‘18) took second place in the 1600m run with a time of 4:32.84 minutes. A 4x800m relay team composed of Scott, Jake Martocci (‘17), Teddy Roewer (‘18) and Virgil Munyemana (‘18) placed fifth out of eight, scoring four points for the Blue Thunder. Sebastian Gutierrez (‘18) broke his personal record of the season on Saturday in high jump by jumping 6’5 ft and taking second place. Gutierrez also competed in long jump, placing fourth with a jump of 19’11 ft. Alex Frisch placed fifth in the 300m hurdles, completing the race in 45.74 seconds. Dain Kuss took fourth in pole vault, clearing 11’6 ft.

At the end of the day, it was Prospect High School that went home with a first place victory, placing in the top five in almost all of the events competed in.

“We may not have won but today was a successful day. We’re a team. We worked hard to place where we did and that’s all that matters,” said Isaah Hopson (‘19).

The next boys track meet will be on Tues. April 18 at North. Field events will start and 4:30 and running will begin around 5 PM. The girls track team is competing at Belvidere High School on Wed., April 19 and is participating in the Antioch Invite in Hoffman Estates on Apr. 21.