Which teaching strategy is right for you?

Photograph: Jeffrey Coolidge/Get

Sofi Zeman, Features Editor

Teaching. As students, it’s an important aspect of getting a proper education. The way a teacher uses the 50 minutes we sit in class for has the potential to make or break your grade in a matter of days.

There are many different teaching styles. In the past, educators typically leaned towards a more traditional route. This consists of lectures and step-by-step instruction. The class doesn’t move on until everyone knows what’s going on. A lot of students like this method. It’s simple and easy. Everyone likes knowing what they’re doing. But, those moving faster in class are slowed down significantly by this. This brings up an issue where one half of the class is confused and the other is bored. So, a new teaching style developed.

In recent years, more modern methods have been brought up in the classroom. One way education has evolved in the classroom is by having the students teach themselves. A teacher provides the proper lesson material but that’s where their responsibilities end. Students use the given information to learn on their own at their own pace. As long as everyone knows what they need to know come test time, it shouldn’t be a problem, right? Well, this method also has it’s flaws. With traditional methods, students want to move further ahead. With modern methods such as this, some students fall behind.

Both methods have been implemented at Belvidere North. Mr. Detloff, who teaches Consumer Education, prefers a lecture style class. While some appreciate the pace of the class, students occasionally feel unchallenged.

“Lecture style classes are boring and make me want to fall asleep,” said Jared Brown (‘19).

Most sophomores who took Chemistry experienced the self-paced class style with teachers like Ms. Klein. Some enjoyed being able to go as far ahead in class as they liked while others felt overwhelmed.

“Using this method was confusing at first but after getting the hang of it, I started to prefer it over the old way,” said Autumn Grose (‘19).

The pace a student learns at can correlate with the teaching style that works best for them. It’s important to understand the material in class. But, it’s also important to be able to keep up with developing styles.