Girls Cross Country

Hannah Cunningham

This fall season the girls cross country team is ready for another season to dominate the NIC-10.  Losing last years state champs, the team is still strong and determined to work towards their goals at the end of the season.

As one of the varsity runners, Mia Rodriguez(‘18) has been a part of the team all of her high school career. Mia has helped lead the team to the end of the season and accomplish their goal.

“I am extremely proud of how our team is doing this year, we are currently ranked 2nd in the state and have been running great all season. My goal is to help my team do the best we can possibly do and qualify at state and place. I am also looking forward to running at the state meet with my girls. They always push me through the race because we are all running for each other and pushing through the pain,” said Mia, (18’)

Another runner Natalie Monaghan (‘18) has also been running for a very long time in her life. Along with her teammates she is looking to accomplish many goals and help the team out.

“The team is doing really well so far this season, we have been racing against some tough schools and doing really well. Each girl keeps getting better and better and I am looking forward to seeing what we can do at the end of the season,” said Natali.

At the First to Finish meet Madison Dierks (‘20) had another strong season. Also, two other strong runners on the team that place in the top spots, are Gianna Sagona (‘20) and Sabrina Elder (‘18).

Finishing this season out strong the girls took 1st in Conference with six top ten finishers. To conclude the season the girls are looking to take another first place title at regionals on Saturday October 21st. If the girls place in the top five at sectionals they will then head down to state where they will hope to defend their title once again.

The state meet will be held at Detweiller Park in Peoria on November 4. The girls hope to see students there supporting them and cheering them on to accomplish their goals for their season. North is currently ranked #2 in the latest state polls but will look to overtake Dunlap HS in Peoria.

Coach Husser has been named IHSA Coach of the Year for girls cross country. Husser has dedicated his time and energy to ensure that North is once again a powerhouse in the world of high school cross country. Congratulations to Coach Husser and his coaching staff.

As the season is quickly coming to an end, the runners hope to see everyone at their last few meets to support the team and the coaches. Race time for Regionals is 10:00 at Belvidere High School.