Girls swimming and diving Conference and Sectionals

Hannah Cunningham

Last weekend the girls swimming and diving team took on Varsity Conference against all the NIC-10 conference teams. The varsity meet started out with the early morning diving competition with around 10 girls competing.

“As I woke up that morning I was super nervous and I knew I had to dive my best in order to see how my results at sectionals would play out,” said Haley Dahl (‘19). Haley Dahl (‘19) placed 6th out of 9 divers.

Starting the swimming portion of the meet the girls took on the 200 medley relay and placed 1st. Next week at sectionals if the girls place first in that event they will qualify for state. As the meet progressed the girls had a tough competition against Boylan high school and Hononegah high school, placing in the top six for every event.

Some of the top placers to make podium were Madelynn Marunde (‘18)in the 200 and 400 relay, 200 free, and 500 free, Hannah Cunningham (‘18)200 and 400 relay, 100 free, and the 50 free, Michaela Gavina (‘20)200 and 400 relay, 100 fly, and the 100 back, and Sydney Wight (‘20) in the 200 and 400 relay, 100 and 50 free.

At the end of the competition the girls were in second place against Boylan. With the 400 Freestyle left, both Boyland and Belvidere CO-OP were competing for the 1st place finish. The 400 Freestyle relay has been an event Belvidere has taken to state countless times. The girls came in a tough .5 seconds behind Boylan. Next weekend the race to watch will be the 400 Freestyle Relay and who goes down to state this year.

“As my last year competing at sectionals I hope to once again go to state in my individuals and the 400 Freestyle Relay once again, it will be tough but the taper practices will pull off in the end,” said Madelynn Marunde (‘18).

The Belvidere CO-OP Swim Team is hoping to place in the top three again this year and bring most of the Varsity team down to state like they do every year. They also hope to see many students there at Byron High School cheering them on.