Belvidere North Baseball is getting started

Senior Evan Waddell (’18) sliding safely into the base last season

Matt Belinson, Sports Editor

Even though the baseball season for Belvidere North hasn’t started yet, the work never stops. An athlete never really stops working on their craft, even if their playing season isn’t in effect. Baseball is one of the unique sports where an athlete can work all year long. Indoor batting cages, weight rooms, and travel ball facilities are available for weeks. To some players, one type of offseason work helps more than others.

“When you go to open gyms, you get as close to real reps and speed as you can. You remember all of the types of drills that you will use,” said Brock Larson (‘18).

Open gyms are a great way to use school time and space for getting athletes back into the swing of things. Belvidere North High School Baseball is offering open gyms to all students who are interested in trying out in February for the school’s team.

The dates are as follows.

• Dec 12: 8-9:30
  • Jan 16: 8-9:30
  • Feb 6: 8-9:30
  • Feb 13: 8-9:30
  • Feb 20: 7:30-9
  • Feb 22: 7:30-9

These open gym dates are a time for getting the rust off and having reps before tryouts start February 26. Any athlete that is not involved in a winter sport can come to this. February 6 and the 13 open gym dates are invite only. North Baseball will also start opening up the gym in the mornings starting in January. Pitchers and catchers can sign up in pairs to get accustomed to each other. A sign-up sheet will be sent out before Christmas break.