Boys Soccer Starts Competitive Season

Katie Konen, Reporter

The boys varsity soccer team has started their season off on a good note and are looking forward to getting even better by the end of the season.

Last year, the boys placed third in their conference which allowed them to qualify for the regional finals.  They took a hard loss against Freeport High School with a final score of 1-0. This year the team is not only looking forward to improve, but to get top three or higher in conference and to make it to regionals once again.

They have many players returning this year which are: Jaedan Aguilera(‘21), Aidan Westerberg(‘20), Alexis Garcia(‘20), Ryan Alt(‘20), Brandon Obot(‘20), Jadan Tirado(‘20), Alexis Garcia(‘19), Tanner Mareus(‘19), and Andrew Tremud(‘19).

“We have a really good team this year, coming in with another group of young players that have a lot of talent in them.  Our returners are looking even better than last year and are very excited for the season,” said Aguilera(‘21).

The team had their first tournament last week at Dekalb High School.  Game one ended with a tying score of 1-1 against Dekalb. The second game they faced Burlington High School and won 2-0 with an assist from Brandon Burke to Alexis Garcia.  The final game was against Dekalb. Although the boys fought hard, they took a close loss of 2-1 with a goal scored by Tanner Mateus(‘19). Overall, the team placed third and is happy with the result.  

The boys practice everyday after school from 4 to 5:30. They start off practice by running half a mile.  When the boys finish their running, they do their everyday stretches and begin with a bunch of drills. The hardest drill they do is called the “Matues Killer.”  Everyone has to run from each corner of the field and back to the starting one, which is equivalent to five laps. After the drills, the team ends practice by playing mini games.  

“As an incomer to varsity this year, I believe we have a good chance of winning many games this season.  The team always practices how they play ad everyone is looking forward to our upcoming games,” said Trent Mihalovits (‘21).

Make sure to wish the team the best of luck for their next game as they take on Woodstock North, May 28 at 6:30 here at North.