Drive-by Shooting Near Auburn Football Game

Lily Bakulski, Sports Editor

On August 24, 2018 at 9:45 p.m, a drive-by shooting occurred in the neighborhood behind Auburn High School. Freeport was playing Auburn when chaos erupted in the stands due to the sound of gunshots. Students and fans from both sides fled the stands, not knowing if the shots were directed towards them. Thankfully, no one was injured from the gunshots, but one cheerleader was trampled and sent to the hospital with a shoulder injury.

Auburn and Freeport football players dropped to the ground when gunshots were fired around 9:45 p.m. Friday night. Nobody knew what was going on or where they came from, so fans and students fled to the parking lot for safety. The shooting was not associated with the game, but was close enough to draw attention from the crowd.

“It is crazy to think that something like this could happen at a local football game. I knew that I had my team by my side and we just wanted to beat Jefferson and stay safe. My team and I were glad that extra police officers were at the game to watch close by for any suspicious activity,” said Joseph Trimble (‘19).

No arrests were made regarding the shooting and only one person was injured during the evacuation to the parking lot. Unfortunately, a girl was sent to the hospital for a shoulder injury, but, fortunately, she is okay.

More safety protocols are being put in place at Auburn High School football games. Freeport and Auburn thank other schools for their support and are very happy with how police took on the problem and kept everyone calm.

On Friday, August 31, Belvidere North took on Jefferson High School at Auburn High School. Even though there was a scare last Friday, Belvidere North fans filled the stands at Wyeth Stadium.

“It was great to see such a huge crowd at the stadium. My team and I knew that both schools had protocols in place if anything happened as well as extra security at the game. We all just wanted to beat Jefferson and ring the bell,” said Nick Altintop (‘19).

Belvidere North beat Jefferson 42-18 and take on Belvidere for their first home game of the season on Friday, September 7.