Girls bowling starts their season

Rachel Nelson, Sports Editor

The girl’s bowling team started their season this week on November 12. They have 22 girls this season which is a big step-up from last season’s 13. There are 11 seniors, 6 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 1 freshman.

They will have their first tournament of the season on November 23 at the NIC-10 Pre-Season Tournament held at Park Lanes in Machesney Park.

Last season, Belvidere North didn’t do so well as a team, but they had a couple girls advance to sectionals and one girl advance to state. Rachel Nelson (‘20), and graduates Brynn Lambrecht and Kylie Johnson. Nelson placed 9th, missing advancing to state by nine pins, while Lambrecht placed 1st for advancing individuals with a 1326 six game total. Johnson wasn’t able to make it to Sectionals due to having prior commitments, so she had to forfeit her spot to another girl. Lambrecht placed 8th at state with a 1276 six game season.

Nelson is hoping to make it back to sectionals and place high enough to qualify for state.

This season, the team is hopeful to do better. Coach Andrew Jenson is now off his first season jitters and is ready to get this next season underway. There is also a new assistant coach, Keith McGriff. Both coaches have a lot of experience in bowling. Jenson is a silver level coach, working his way to becoming a gold level coach, and McGriff has a lot of bowling experience.

Returning varsity bowler, Chelsea Recendez (‘19) is excited for the new season. Last year, she averaged 127, but she is hoping to raise that by a few pins this year.

“I am really excited for this season. I am looking forward to becoming a better bowler with the help of my coaches and teammates,” said Recendez.

A few other returning girls are Raquele Decker (‘19), Cailyn Kottman (‘19), Jillian Backs (‘19), Lauren Schaefer (‘19), Camille Spencer (‘19), and Kalaya Smelter (‘20).

“Bowling is always a new and exciting experience every year. I am really looking forward to getting better this season and seeing all the other girls get better,” said Smelter.

The girls will have their first match of the season on December 11 against the Hononegah Indians at Viking Lanes.