Tornado Hits Sioux Falls, South Dakota


Olivia Frank, Reporter

Their first tornado in 3 decades hit Sioux Falls South Dakota late on Tuesday, September 10th. The tornado damaged about three dozen homes. Unlike the previous twister which caused no fatalities or severe injuries, at least nine people were injured as buildings collapsed. 

Sioux Falls officials are also investigating why the sirens didn’t go off as they should have. 

Following the tornado, residents were urged not to travel Tuesday night because of fallen trees and powerlines. 

        The argus leader Newspaper of Sioux Falls reported that the twister ripped off the roof of a nearby hospital. The mayor confirmed in a press conference that the hospital had significant damage. The local red cross has opened a temporary shelter for displaced residents at the armory. 

         Mayor Paul TenHaken shared a photo of a devastated auto-parts store, along with a tweet stating, “there is significant structural damage like this across our city.” 

The tornado’s winds sped up to 130 miles per hour also roaring over the hospital who had just brought in a man having a heart attack. Through the storm doctors and nurses continued operating on the man, saving his life. 

        A 46-year-old nurse manager and a behavioral health center arrived at the hospital shortly after the patients had been moved.

      She said “There are big chunks of metal hanging from the building; broken glass everywhere; tree limbs and trash; cars that have been picked up and moved with their windows blown out,” Sundet said. “When I walked into the building there was water pouring in through the ceiling. I have never seen anything like it.”

       “We had children ranging from 4 to 17 who were huddled with their blankets and really just frightened and in shock,” she said.

        Though dozens of building damaged and destroyed no one was killed but a few were injured in the devastation of the storm. The injuries were minor leaving everyone involved in stable conditions. 

       Most of the sirens were said to have sounded in southeastern Sioux Falls but were not activated in the rest of the city. Mayor TenHaken called it a “miscommunication” among staff members and promised that it would never happen again.