Girls Cross Country

Holden Paddock, Sports Reporter

Belvidere North Girls Cross Country has been having another really good season up to this point and are once again healthy and running as a unit. They are looking to defend their 2018 IHSA AA State Championship and have started it off right with a Regional Championship.

North has their core three back this season in Madison Dierks (’20), Giana Sagona (’20) and Sydnie Elder (’20). 

Since I’m a senior this year I’m going to be a leader for this team,” said Dierks.

At the NIC- 10 Conference Championships, the Girls Cross Country team took 1st place.  North had four runners that finished in the top 10 of the race. Giana Sagona lead the team by taking 1st place with a time of 18:10.50.  Madison Dierks was right behind her as she took 2nd place with a time of 18:27.50. Sydnie Elder was able to place in the top 5, coming in 4th place.  Her time was 18:38.60. Alexia Pecora came in 9th place, with a time of 19:07.80.

Belvidere North Girls Cross Country performed well in their regional at Sterling, they ended up taking first place. Gianna Sagona (20’) got first place for the team, and Madison Dierks (20’) took third place. North is looking forward to sectionals which take place this Saturday, November 1 at Belvidere High School. The girl’s race starts at 10 and the boys follow at 11. The top five teams will advance to next weekend’s state meet. Go North!