Competitive Cheer

Competitive+Cheer

Brynn Eubanks, reporter

This year, the cheer competition team for Belvidere North are in the hopes of making history. In the past the varsity team has eight conference titles, five sectional titles, and are three time state champions. As they are striving for a 4th win this 2019-2020 season!

Athletes Emily Carter (20) and Sophie Dutz(20), have been apart of the winning three titles at state and are shooting for that fourth win their senior and final year of High School! Emily Carter tells,

“When I was a Freshman, people never thought it would be possible to get four in a row after we had won the first title. I decided then I would prove them all wrong and work super hard to get all four!”

The program puts in hard work all summer conditioning and building skills continuing onto sideline season, for the upcoming competition season. 

The season has just started and BNHS has 3 different division teams in the program; Varsity Coed, Large Jv, and Freshman. All teams have worked a new routine this past weekend. This will be first shown at their first competition of the season, on December 8th at Crystal Lake Central.

One that you won’t want to miss is the Coed Challenge, the competition held by Belvidere North, that everyone looks forward to. Only coed teams perform which is a really exciting experience to see the different teams only in the Varsity Coed division. Come and support on December 20th!

This year, the NIC 10 Conference is held at Hononegah High school and this year not only Varsity competing, but Large Jv. At this competition Belvidere North’s varsity team hopes to win their 9th first place title.

Another opportunity to see Varsity perform is at Sectionals, which will be held here at Belvidere North High School. The top five teams in each division have the chance to compete at the State Championships in Bloomington, Illinois, at the Grossinger Motors Arena. On February 7th, the top 10 winners from each division that day then compete day two of State Finals on February 8th. 

All teams in the Belvidere North Cheer Program would love to see the BNHS student body come out and cheer on their three time State Champions, pushing for that fourth straight title! To keep up with how this season is going you can visit the account @B_NorthCheer on Twitter.