Belvidere North Girls Varsity Basketball

Andre Brown, Reporter

Belvidere North Varsity girls basketball has already taken off and our girls finished their Thanksgiving tournament 4-1, and they are currently 3-0 in conference right now. North is looking strong and their goal this year is to win a regional.  Some key returning starters are Madison Dericks (‘20) who has already committed D2 for basketball to play at Regis University in Denver Colorado. Nataile Horgan (‘20) ,Kaite Luna (‘20), Pagie Lambright (‘20) and Anna Hulstedt (‘20). More key players are Crystal Sotelo (‘22) and Carlee Fridly (‘22). North’s starting point guard, Joceylyn Callaham (‘20), is currently recovering from an injury but when she is on the court, she is a key player for them. 

With North being 3-0 in conference, last Friday Madison Derricks (‘20) scored her 1,000 point for girls basketball. When they have played in conference, North has blown teams out. Their first conference game vs East the score was 67-24, the game vs Freeport, the score was 75-15, and on December 11,  North played against Jefferson and walked away easily with the win with the score being 69-35. 

Madison Dericks (‘20) said, “I’m really excited about this year and the things we can accomplish as a team. I think we are a strong team that could go really far if we continue to work for each other”. North is looking to take big steps after last year being eliminated in the playoffs. 

The next game is Friday, December 13, 2019 and they play against Boylan at Boylan high school. Varsity play at 7:30 and sophomores play at 5:30. Please come out to support the girls basketball team.