Cheer recap

Cheer+recap

Brynn Eubanks, reporter

North’s cheer team has had a good season so far. At their first few tournaments they placed 2nd, but were quick to be back on top as they took first at their 3rd competition of the season.  

On Thursday, January 23, conference was held at Hononegah High School where we see all of the Nic-10 teams compete against each other no matter the division. This year the Jv teams got to perform at Conference as well. The freshman team performed as an exhibition. Jv competed against Nic-10 teams and was awarded 1st place. Varsity won their 9th consecutive 1st place Conference title and got to take back home their trophy. 

Freshman and Jv large had their last Competition at Huntley, the following weekend of Conference. Both teams took home one last win for this season. Freshman had an undefeated season and Jv had a very successful season as well. Varsity practices everyday to work towards improving their routine and achieving their goal.

Competition season for cheer is coming to an end soon for Varsity. Sectionals takes place at North this Saturday. If North Coed places top 5 at this competition, they will make their way to State the following weekend. Belvidere North Coed Cheer team is a 3x State winning team, who is pushing for a fourth win this season. 

During the summer and fall, they work so hard to build their skills for the upcoming winter season. All of the time and hard work is done to hopefully get the chance to perform at State and qualify for State day 2.

What qualifies a team to go to State is being one of the top 5 teams in their division at Sectionals. From each division the top 10 highest scoring teams on the first day of State, will advance to the second day of State. On day 2 after everyone performs, the teams anxiously wait to see if they get called for podium. They only call 3rd 2nd and 1st place. Winning first place gives a team the title of the best team in that division in the IHSA program. North hopes to take this title again for themselves and their school as well.

Varsity performs at Sectionals at 9:48 a.m. at Belvidere North High School. It costs Spectators 6$ to come and watch. Come out and support Belvidere North Varsity Coed Cheer they need all the support they can get and a big fan section!