Wrestling

Wrestling

Michael Paddock, Reporter

Belvidere’s Co-op wrestling team is currently undefeated in the NIC-10 Conference and in first place. This is the best season North has had on the wrestling mats since the school opened in 2008.

Some of the key wrestlers are Trevor Dawson (‘20), representing North in the  220 weight class and Devin Diveley (‘21), in the 152 weight division. Eathin Diveley (‘22), wrestles for North’s 160 weight class and has been a leader amongst the younger wrestlers. Tony Alvarado(23’) has been having an incredible freshman season as his record for the season is 31-2.

“I feel that being a co-op wrestling team has been pretty good because Belvidere High School brought some pretty good coaches and I think that we will be able to make it to state with the lineup that we have,” said Ahmad Sheikhali (‘20).

At the triangular match against Boylan and Hononegah, Belvedere’s Co-op wrestling team was able to get the win over both opponents.  Devin Dively and Trevor Dawson were able to secure wins by pinning their competition. Alvarado also had a good day as he won his match and continued to dominate everyone he faces on the mat.

Belvidere’s Co-op wrestling team went up against Rochelle on January 14.  Belvidere was not able to come out with the win but it was a very close and intense match as both teams were screaming and cheering for their teammates at the end.  Trevor Dawson (20’) had a huge pin to take the lead for the team. Tony Alvarado had a quick match as he pinned his opponent.

Belvidere’s Co-op Wrestling team then faced East, another NIC-10 Conference opponent on January 23.  North was able to come home with the win against East. Ethin Diveley had tecked his opponent, which means that he beat his opponent by 15 points.  Getting the win against East allowed North to stay undefeated in the conference.  

In the NIC-10 Conference match, Belvidere had come up in 2nd place behind the Freeport Pretzels.  Tony Alvarado keeps his great season going by winning the 126- pound title with a tech fall and a pin.  Devin Diveley had a great day as well, he was able to win all three of his matches.  

Belvidere’s next match will be the Ihsa Regional at Huntley High School on February 8, 2020.