Comp Cheer takes home fifth conference title in a row

VIP Photos

Matt Belison, Reporter

Competitive cheer is definitely a team sport, and North’s Varsity team is showing how to win not only as a team, but as a family.

“We’re a family, which makes it so much easier, it’s great,” said Caroline Flynn (‘16). “Our relationship on the mat is close and we all work together so we usually succeed,” said Mckenzie Mueller (‘17).

The cheer team started off their season with the Sandburg Cheerfest on Dec. 6, where they took home top honors in a tough competition. They then went on to the Belvidere North Coed Challenge. The team placed 2nd in their home gym. The success that they found in their first two meets were in big part to their relationship on and off the mats.

“I know that we all get along and we work together, our team won’t be stopped,” said Flynn.

Following their second place finish at the North Challenge, they placed first at back to back competitions. The first of these two first place finishes was on Jan 9 when the team travelled to Belvidere High School to compete at the Winter Classic. “We were really excited to finish on top”, said Flynn about taking home top honors.

Then on Jan 10, North went to the Bison Invite at Buffalo Grove High School. And yet again they came away with another first place finish and were crowned Grand champions.

“This year has been so different, we have never won this many competitions in a season,” said Flynn. But nothing lasts forever, and the team faced a minor setback when they got fourth at the Grayslake North Invitational. “We just need to get consistency with our work, if we work hard and if we keep doing what we have been, we will be good,” said Mueller.

North bounced back in a big way when they went on and won the NIC-10 conference competition. “It was a huge win, one of our biggest goals of the season was to win conference, and being able to accomplish it was an amazing feeling,” said Sam Garcell (‘16).

The cheer team’s next competition is sectionals, which is on Jan. 30.